Tuesday, 27 November 2012

A Testimony

This morning God showed me He is real... again. Some people need angels, visions of bright light or even the manifestation of spirits. But for me, God shows up every time I have an amazing coincidence, epiphany or even revelation.
We discard the small and simple; always eyes out for the extravagant. I guess its not soley our fault as influences from the media is unavoidable. However, attention should be paid to the little things to appreciate the great. And OH WHAT GREAT things He has done for me.

August 17 2012, I would have become undone if not for the grace of Jesus. Driving along a dark crowded highway, blood levels tinted. Music blearing, filling the air around me with excitement. Charged! Who over- takes on a curve? Apparently, I do, according to the re-account of my lucky passenger. As I overtook the slow pokes in front of me, I realized that quickly approaching was an island pavement in the middle of the road. "I hate those things!" I thought. My next thought would be "WE ARE GOING TO DIE!" 
I simply didnt have enough time or speed to continue overtaking these cars, pass the island in the middle of the road, and avoid the on coming traffic heading quickly towards me. Thinking quickly, or I guess not thinking at all, I swung the car to the left, attempting to get the vehicle back in line with the cars I had attempted to over take, missing each of them, but losing control of my 2 ton silver Honda accord coupe. In a flash, I was swerving from side to side, trying to get back in line with the cars I'd overtaken, jerking, and twisting the wheel for an eternity of less than 3 seconds. My life could have ended as I slammed brakes, with cars swiftly approaching, and accelerating on both sides. Suddenly, my car maneuvered into a 180 tail spin. Spinning my entire vehicle into the opposite direction, horizontally sitting in the middle of the highway, blocking both sides. Thank heavens our seat belts were on, or else our bodies would have caterpulted from the vehicle long before the expected crash. 
Surprsingly, my heart was not racing, but eyes keenly focused, brain locked on death, I glanced quickly over my shoulder, glaring in the direction of the Black Ford Explorer Jeep that should have pulverized me, taking away the entire left side of me and my Accord as it did. But God. Something amazing happened.
Time froze, literally.
It stood still.
And I could see it all so clearly.

Have you ever seen in movies the visual effects of time slowing down? Glass shattering and dropping lackadaisically to the ground? YES! This was what I saw in my minds eye. A pure loitering, torpid delay of events. The deceleration of all vehicles simultaneously. Moments were passing as death silently walked away. Still in shock, I was reminded me gently, "Baby, we're in the middle of the road." Embarrassed, I shifted the car into drive, and slowly rolled on the grass, wondering why I was still alive to tell this story, when with my own eyes I looked upon my impending death. "DID YOU SEE THAT? I’m so SORRY!" I broke down in tears, knowing I could have killed someone I had grown to care for in such a short period of time. I had met his mother today for the first time. Knowing that I could have been the reason she would lay her only son to rest brought bitter-sweet tears of joy, and relief to my eyes. I was grateful.

Now this morning, I looked up to the heavens, knowing I neglected to pray, to worship, and study like I ought to. When just taking a moment to bask in His presence, I was strengthened. Joy bubbled over inside of me, so much till I cried aloud, "Lord why do I neglect your presence when in it is fullness of joy!"
A minute later, I opened the bible and He took me immediately to Psalms 16 where He said,
"His goodness is extended to His saints, and to the excellent in whom He delights... The Lord is my portion, the lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places, and I have a godly heritage... For thou will not leave my soul in hell...You will show me the path of life, in thy presence is fullness of joy, at thy right hand there are pleasures forevermore."
Unrelenting, I cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment